nexus 7 (2012) and Lollipop
If you have a 2012 nexus 7 by now either you’ve installed Lollipop and you complain about the machine’s behavior, or you’re reading other people’s gripes. Mine is running Android 5.1 now and here is what I did to make it bearable to work with:
- I disabled GPS location.
- I have locked orientation to Portrait (Portrait or Landscape does not matter, just lock it to somehing).
- I’ve disabled keyboard gestures.
- I’ve put the tablet into developer mode and I disabled Window animation scale, Transition animation scale and Animator duration scale. I’ve also limited the background processes to 3 instead of the default limit. However, keep in mind that if you switch off the machine, when switching it back on, you need to set it back to 3 processes.
- I am now using Firefox for Android as the default web browser.
- I have also done a factory defaults on the machine to deal with TRIM. Normally you shouldn’t have to with Android 5.0 but I did it anyway.
I am using this tablet as a Kindle Reader, Google Play Books Reader, Aldiko Reader, and the occasional social media. No Google+, no Youtube (no video whatsoever). Original Angry Birds from Play Store seems to behave. From time to time the machine locks up (about once a day) but I am keeping it for now.