My A110L stopped booting the other day. It went blank. Totally. Not even the BIOS. Searching I came along these two links that showed that I was not alone having this problem. I copy the solution displayed there because there is a minor issue with it that I want to point out:
Aspire One powers on but the screen remains blank
Updating the BIOS will require a USB flash drive to store the BIOS information on during the update. To perform the update to the BIOS:
- Go here and download and extract the latest BIOS for the netbook. ← Do not go now, it is not there!
- Rename the BIOS file from 3310.fd to zg5ia32.fd.
- Copy zg5ia32.fd and Flashit.exe to USB flash drive
- Ensure that the AC adapter is plugged in.
- Insert the USB flash drive into a USB port.
- Press and Hold down the Fn and the Esc keys together and press the power button.
- When the unit’s power light comes on wait a few seconds and release the Fn and Esc keys.
- After the keys have been released the power light will start to blink.
- During the BIOS update process the display will be blank.
- Let the unit run and after approximately 1 to 7 minutes, the unit should reboot and the BIOS will be updated.
If the unit fails to reboot, or the BIOS was not updated sucessfully, try the steps again.
Note: These instructions are only for the Acer Aspire One AOA-110 and the AOA-150 netbook series and should not be performed on any other model Acer Aspire One.
So what is the issue?
The problem is that by going here (as suggested) it is currently impossible to grab a BIOS update for the A110L. However, we are not at loss. Acer’s European support site distributes BIOS updates from:
The second problem is that BIOS version 3310 is not available. However, I performed the very same steps using BIOS version 3309 and my A110L happily runs Ubuntu Netbook Remix once again.